Wednesday, May 27, 2009

"Last Night the Rain Spoke to Me" by Mary Oliver





Last night

the rain

spoke to me

slowly, saying,



what joy

to come falling

out of the brisk cloud,

to be happy again



in a new way

on the earth!

That’s what it said

as it dropped,



smelling of iron,

and vanished

like a dream of the ocean

into the branches



and the grass below.

Then it was over.

The sky cleared.

I was standing



under a tree.

The tree was a tree

with happy leaves,

and I was myself,



and there were stars in the sky

that were also themselves

at the moment

at which moment



my right hand

was holding my left hand

which was holding the tree

which was filled with stars



and the soft rain –

imagine! imagine!

the long and wondrous journeys

still to be ours.



~ Mary Oliver ~



(What Do We Know)

No comments: